A Schottel drive, developed by the Schottel company, is a modern and extremely powerful drive version specifically for working boats that need to possess excellent manoeuvrability such as harbour tugs, ferries and special vessels. Unlike conventional ship's drives with separate shaft and rudder systems, the Schottel drive combines both these control groups.The ship's propeller, which is mounted below the ship's bottom in a power-increasing Kort nozzle, can be swivelled to the side and the flow of water produced is thus utilised as a rudder directly. The Schottel drive II corresponds to the original concept in terms of its mode of operation. Used in conjunction with the powerful OMA-3810-1050 (No.6630) motor, the integrated gear with a ratio of 3:1 and the special 65 mm ship's propeller, a high drive output is achieved, so the drive is suitable for use in larger and heavier models. It is sturdy and made of plastic. A powerful servo (e.g. C 4821, order no. 3896) is used in a special holder for direct control. At a servo movement ratio of 2:1, the swivel range of the ship's propeller is approx. 180°, depending on the servo. The swivel range is not mechanically restricted. Depending on the installation conditions, the servo carrier can be mounted laterally on the shaft in various positions.
New version 2017
- Underwater unit now manufactured in RAL 3009 oxydred. This means no painting is necessary when fitting to the fuselage.
- Propeller in new geometry, much more efficient and manufactured in RAL 1036 pearl gold
- Helical bevel gears ensure quiet running and better power transmission
Pre-assembled Schottel drive made of injection-moulded plastic, servo carrier, ship's propeller Ø 65 mm counterclockwise and ship's propeller Ø 65 mm clockwise, installation and operating instructions in German, English and French.
- Servo DES 718 (No.7947) or
- Servo DES 707 (No.7945)
- Motor Brushless Speed (No.7290) or
- Cuppling (No.3373) or (no.sz1018.11)
- High Perfromance grease (No.570)